Our favourite photo editing app Pixelmator now has a Pro version. I was so excited that I immediately purchased it. I assumed that if the app is released right after the Black Friday and Cyber Monday's sales we won't get a discount any time soon.
Our favourite photo editing app Pixelmator now has a Pro version. I was so excited that I immediately purchased it. I assumed that if the app is released right after the Black Friday and Cyber Monday's sales we won't get a discount any time soon. I read that the price will go up after a few updates and bug fixes. The original Pixelmator is usually 50% off every Black Friday. I wanted to support the developers, they do a great job. I used the app to edit my blog photos, I'm not a professional photographer.
Why I like it
- Raw editing support - Pixelmator is a great image editing software, but there was one thing that I really missed while using it - the ability to change my photos' exposure. You can always use Apple Photos, but I'm happy that they've added the feature in the new Pixelmator Pro.
- Machine Learning - Pixelmator Pro automatically names your layers. Aligning objects is a breeze and you also get the beloved Pixelmator Repair tool with the Pro version as well.
- Non-destructive editing - Every time you make a change the original image is preserved and you can always go back to it.
- Split view support - You can use it alongside another app.
- Lighten/ Darken brushes - These are very handy for quick photo edits and this app made me realise how much I need such brushes in my life
- Clean interface - The interface is very clean looking and easy to use
- Regular updates - I was initially displeased**** because there was no option for using a custom ratio when cropping an image. The Pixelmator team added it in an update and now I'm happy.
- Custom templates for social media - Another cool feature for social media addicts and marketers is the ability to make social media icons and cover images in minutes. It's always annoying and time consuming to check for the sizes online.
- iPad app in the making - Pixelmator app is my go-to photo editor on my iPad. I am super excited for the Pro version.
- Painting - You get some amazing brushes. The app uses Metal-based painting engine. You also have the option to create Pixel art with the Pixel tool.
- One time payment - It's not a subscription base model so you pay only once. Pixelmator Pro does not have all Photoshop features, but it's really easy to use and it's more than enough for non professionals.
What I don't like
- Strictly a bitmap editor - You get the pen tool but none of the vector formats are supported. If you have used Pixelmator you're probably familiar with Vectormator. When you open Pixelmator and press Command-Shift-V you get only the vector editing tools. This feature is coming soon to Pixelmator Pro.